Bet you are tired of eating the regular white rice and stew almost daily as a typical Nigerian. You probably think the white rice and stew combo is the only recipe you can make with rice. Well, this is untrue as there are several healthy recipes you can create with rice.
Rice can be either the central component of a meal or a side dish. Here are 3 Healthy rice meals guaranteed to make your taste bud long for more.
- Beans and Rice
This classic combination can be paired with stew or sauces ( ata din-din, chicken stew, fish stew, or beef stew). Any type of beans can be used for this recipe, you can always explore and decide which you prefer.
1cup of beans
2 cups of rice
1 large Onion diced
Salt to taste
- Pick your beans and get rid of dirt.
- Rinse the beans and pour them into a pot; Cook for 15 minutes and rinse and change the water to cook.
- Add the diced onion to the beans, and leave it to cook for about 40-50 minutes or till you can easily crush it with your finger.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly until the water is clear. Add the rinsed rice and salt into the beans pot. Add water if necessary.
- Reduce heat to medium-low heat and cook for 30 minutes without removing the lid.
- Fold your rice and beans together gently and serve with your desired sauce, soup or stew. Enjoy!
2) Chicken Fried Rice – a veggie-filled dish is one of the healthiest options.
- 4 cups of pre-cooked rice rice
- 1 chicken breast ( cut into bite pieces)
- 1 large green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 large red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 large
- 2 cups of diced carrot
- 1 Onion bulb
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon of thyme
- 4 cups of water
- ¼ turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced scotch bonnet pepper (atarodo)
- 1 cup fresh corn or canned sweet corn
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut the chicken into bite-size and set it aside.
- Preheat two tablespoons of oil, and add the chicken, atarodo, minced garlic, grounded ginger, and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil and onions and cook till onions become translucent.
- Add the mixed veggies and grounded pepper and cook till heated through
- Stir in the curry powder, seasoning powder, thyme and minced
- Add the rice and cook, stirring continuously on medium heat until heated through
- Serve Hot
Anybody and everybody can eat this delicious and healthy recipe. It can be accompanied by fruit juice, zobo, Coscharis yoghurt drink etc